The Late Late Show host James Corden keeps raising the bar with his Carpool Karaoke series. Last night, the show featured a lively and animated First Lady Michelle Obama and their special surprise guest Missy Elliott.
When Corden arrives to The White House for a tour, Obama gets into the car and asks him if they can listen to the music. Aside from a recent car ride with her daughter, Obama says it’s been seven-in-a-half years since she’s rocked out in the passenger seat. Obama cuts loose with Corden and the 14-minute experience is bliss.
Here are #5Reasons why it’s so dope:
(5) FLOTUS HAS GOOD TASTE Obama starts off her playlist with a nod to Stevie Wonder. She says Stevie is her favorite artist, and they jam to his classic, “Signed, Sealed, Delivered.”
(4) FLOTUS HAS LOVE FOR BEYONCÉ We know that Obama is friends with Beyoncé, so I was expecting a Beyoncé song to be on the playlist, and “Single Ladies” was an obvious choice. But it is still fun watching the First Lady doing the “Single Ladies” dance in the car.
(3) THE INTERVIEW Corden’s interview questions are light, but insightful. It is interesting to find out that Obama will miss the people most when she leaves The White House, saying, “To walk away from people you see every single day, that’s gonna be hard.” We learn that their secret service code names are Renaissance and Renegade and that Obama is looking forward to having some normalcy. I’m definitely going to miss this family.
(2) THE SPECIAL GUEST While “Single Ladies” got Obama pumped up, it turns up 100 notches when Missy magically appears in the backseat to sing Obama’s charity song “This Is for My Girls.” Honestly, I don’t think they could have picked a better Carpool Karaoke guest than Missy.
(1) DID I ALREADY SAY MISSY? There are so many quotable lines in Missy’s “Get Ur Freak On,” but when they yell “HOLLA!” in unison, I knew that today was gonna be all right. Good song pick.
I would love to work for The Late Late Show.